Back to the grind this week with work, school, and The 21-Day Sugar Detox (21DSD)! Today is Day 4 and I’m handling it pretty well. I’ve looked at chocolate and told myself no. And I listened. That’s the important part there.
Hold tight. I’ll be sharing my experiences and progress here at the end of the detox, but you can also follow along over on instagram. I’d love to connect with you!
In the meantime, how about a hearty soup that is 21DSD friendly? I think I should have made a double batch, because we gobbled this up really quick. I used to turn my nose up at greens in my soup, but not anymore. Maybe this is a sign that I’m becoming an adult? I’m going to refuse to believe that for now…
What I do know is, I felt pretty fancy pants stirring that egg into the soup and watching those little string-like pieces form. That might have been the funnest part of making this!
- Olive Oil
- 8 oz ground beef
- 8 oz ground pork
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 6 cups bone broth (beef or chicken)
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
- 2 cups chopped spinach, stemmed & trimmed
- 1 egg, whisked
- In a large bowl, mix the meatball ingredients by hand. Roll mixture into 25-30 1" meatballs.
- Heat a dutch oven over medium heat and drizzle about 1 Tbsp of olive oil.
- Brown half the meatballs and transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining meatballs.
- Pour broth into the dutch oven and stir to deglaze the bottom of the pot.
- Add the carrots and meatballs to the broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes, or until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Add in the chopped spinach and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- Stir the soup rapidly while slowly pouring in the whisked egg. Be sure to keep stirring the soup to prevent the egg from clumping in the soup. The egg should look like long strings in the soup.